1.22.2010

Clarity

Done with class at 10.

Win.

I am currently sitting here debating whether or not to actually do work or just go to the beach and do it all tomorrow. Or doing it all now. Or going for a walk. Or just going back to sleep.

Choices, choices. I live a hard life.

Some random observations:
-The laundry detergent at my lavaderia smells like a spring meadow on crack. It is incredibly strong. When I opened the bags I nearly fell over from the smell. It doesn't smell bad, it's just overwhelming sometimes.
-I am apparently allergic to cities, because I could not smell or breathe for the better part of yesterday. It's quite a think to have your sinuses so impacted it hurts to smile. But if that's the only problem I will ever have here, I will not complain. It could be a lot worse. And today it is a lot better. I think it will just take a while to get used to. And I have time. So it's all good.
-I got a mosquito bite on my neck. It's gross. It's the second one I've gotten. Ick. I normally don't get bit by mosquito, or if I do it's only like 3 or 4 times. But now I look like the mosquito went all Twilight on me. And now I have a welt on my neck. If it's anything like my other bites, it'll go away soon. Some jerk of a mosquito tried to bite my toe, but I killed that sucker. Ha. Pun. Win.
-All of the men here are extremely attractive. In case anyone was wondering. They are everywhere.
-Most people that talk about not forming cliques....most always form them.


I got catcalled yesterday. Halfway. Sort of. Acutally I'm not sure if I did. But I think when we were in the taxi some dude in the car next to us started talking to us. I promptly ignored him. But after a week and a half, it happened. I think they were a bit overzealous regarding the habits of men here. Because I've walked by plenty of men and they keep their mouthes closed. So I don't know. Also yesterday I flagged down a taxi and had a whole conversation in Spanish without thinking about it a ton. I mean, I probably sounded like crap, but the fact that I was able to hold a conversation for like 10 minutes with someone who knew no English, I was pretty proud of myself. Slowly but surely, I am hacking through the jungle. Now that I think about it, I don't really know where my destination is once I get out of the jungle. But at that point I don't really think that I will care where I am, as long as I am out of the jungle.

I think since I've been down here I have had an alarming amount of clarity in life. Well, no, that's not the right phrasing. I have been able to identify things more clearly within myself and ask/deal with the heard stuff that I've pushed away and distracted myself with. For example, right now, I realized that I have been sitting in my room a lot sitting on my computer. I realized that I was doing that, and since I'm in Uruguay, I really shouldn't be doing that, because hello, I'm in freaking Uruguay and I should be out doing my thaang and drinking Mate and eating pizza or olimpicos or walking around or shopping. Something. Anything. Anything other than sitting in my room. But that is where I have found myself as of late. But I think before I wouldn't have realized it. I would have just let it happen. But now that I've recognized it, it could be one of two things. One, it's that I am part introvert (yes. I am an introvert. It's true) and that I need to have a lot of time to myself to recharge and regain my sanity, and I have to do that alone, just blogging or listening to music or looking at stumbleupon.com. It's either that, or I feel like everyone I am currently living with hates me and the only people that like me are the people back home, so I spend every waking moment on my computer, hoping that someone from a past life will sign on and I can talk to them because they actually like me and think I'm freaking hilarious. If I really want to think about it more I think that it's a mixture of both, but more the former than the latter. We have just been going and going and going and going, with all of our tours and museums and stuff, that I just need to stop and chill out. Plus, all of the school work and everything, I just need to calm down and regain my sanity.

The legislative palace was pretty cool. It was like our Capitol, but way smaller. But it was still really pretty and you could tell that the Uruguayans are very proud of their palace. It was made of several types of marble and had beautiful mosiacs and there were soldiers and everything. Their declaration of independence was in the building, and when I first saw it I didn't really feel like it was significant. But then when I thought about it, I realized that this Declaration of Independence is like mine. But it's theirs. How they feel about it is how I feel about mine. And I hope that if you're reading this you know me well enough to know how I feel about my Declaration of Independence. It was cool to find a common feeling between me and Uruguay relating our histories that we are very proud of. I feel like I'm learning a lot about Uruguay, which I love, but I feel like that will make it ultimately more painful to leave.

I had Calimari last night. Along with squash, good bread, and good company. One of my favorite quotes was by Marley, who said "The best beef I have ever had was from a cow that I knew personally."

This could be looking up.

I must continue to practice my Dior pose.
The weekend is coming...

No comments:

Post a Comment