12.13.2009

Revamp '09

So I haven't really touched this blog for about 600 years. But the up-and-coming events in the life of little ol' me have inspired me to pick up and keep on' a movin' on the blogfront. I definitely feel way cooler when I blog, like I am competent member of the generation that knows how to do everything and thinks that their voice should be heard now matter what, when, in actuality, a little Asian Values could do us some good, valuing the community over the individual. Get some ish done.

Anyway. This is now going to be a travel blog. Because, in t-minus 30 days, I will be making my way town to a little country called Uruguay for a semester. I'm pretty pumped, I cannot tell a lie. Though I am thoroughly terrified because it is a lot farther and a lot less common than going to a European country. Or just staying home. I know nothing about Uruguay. Nothing at all. Except that it's in South America. And that they speak Spanish. And drink Mate. And cozy up next to Brazil. But other than that, nothing. I know nothing of the people, food, traditions, cultures, or any of that nonsense. I am anxious to learn, giving that I will be living there for the next five months, and ought to develop some competency in the place that I will be living. Though I don't know how much you can learn in 5 months. The first 5 months I spend in Texas were such a culture shock I nearly cried every day. It's only been after a year and a half that I'm actually understanding stuff, and asking less questions, but just accepting and realizing the mindset of a Texan. That is it what it is, and it's what hey do, so, deal with it. Though I do want to go back to what made the Texans the way they are. Or the Uruguayans they way they are. Or the Swedish. Or Polish. Whoever.

I don't know how much actual traveling I will be doing, per se. I know that I will be visiting Buenos Aires, Argentina, IguaƧu Falls, Brazil, and some other places, but I will primarily be in Montevideo, because that is where I am studying (thus, the Study Abroad title of the program in which I have enrolled.) But I guess the whole experience of not living in the states/going to school in the stats/being in the states is something rather worthy to blog about. I think I'm going to keep this under wraps until I actually leave, because there are certain people I don't want to know I'm leaving until we get certain business *cough* squared away. Sooo yea. And plus it won't even be interesting until I leave. It will just be me going "woo I'm pumped!" or "I don't know how I am going to take 2 suitcases for 5 months!" or "wtf did I decide to do this?" Because I have a feeling that is what a lot of it is going to be. Including lots of CIA World Factbook, Wikipedia, and LOTS of googling of cheap Latin American airfaire. And of course, a lot of ridiculous, majorly illegal ways of making money so that I can pay for this trip without may family having to sell the house.

I often get frustrated with my parents and my decision to study in Latin America. My mom acts like I'm going off to live with tribal people of the Amazon, when I'm going to the capital of one of the more stable Latin American countries. She won't visit me because she doesn't know anything and makes stupid jokes about doing laundry in rivers and crap like that. And I go ...really mom. Really now. It's just so dumb because she's narrow-minded about it. It's not that hard to use google. Look up the country yourself. Or better yet, go there. Getcho' self another stamp on yo' passport. Except my mom is going to India in January, which makes me insanely jealous because it's only my lif egoal to go back to that beautiful, beautiful land and try and find pieces of my heart so deeply embedded into the soil and sand of Kanyakumari that it would take a lifetime to find it all. And that'd be ok with me.

I know I'm going on a tangent, but this is my blog. I do what I want.
I recently have been thinking a lot about blood diamonds. Like, a lot. I.e. my facebook profile picture. It's allll about the blood diamonds. And I don't know why. I hope it's something I will eventually start caring about/doing something about a lot, instead of just a phase. Because it's a big problem.

I know that if i Justkeep going I am going to turn into a raving loony, and we certainly don't want more of that than there already is. So. I am going to bed.

Says to myself: Goodnight, and Goodluck.

No comments:

Post a Comment