2.18.2010

Not Much To Say...

IT'S COLD.
I mean, not for real. But cold for Montevideo. The past few nights I have been half awoken to search blindly for my blanket and promptly fall back to sleep once I pull it over me. Which has been rather nice. But that was a few days ago. It has rained off an on and gets a bit sticky from time to time, but overall it is lovely. It is going to be fall soon, so hopefully that means that I can not die in my sleep on a regular basis. I am looking forward to that.

You know what else I am excited about.

Spring Breakkkk! And I don't mean that in the typical let's get smashed summer beach extravaganza nonsense. Because that is just tacky. And gross. But I am doing something for it. And I am terribly excited. I am going white water rafting in Argentina, and then taking a bus to Chile, and hiking about in the Andes and riding horses and using a backpack. I am so excited. Expect a blog dedicated to my backpack tomorrow. Because it's a legit backpacker's backpack. And I am basically psyched out of my mind. I don't have all of the details lined up for the trip yet, but they will come soon. I am so pumped!

As for other things a'happening in Uruguay, I don't have that much to report. Other than we had breakfast for dinner. Eggs, bacon, biscuts. Deliciousness. And I just hung out in Punta Carretas and Ciudad Vieja all day with The Lackey. We used our innate sense of direction to get us to the two places we wanted to go. We actually started out at Punta Carretas, the most wonderful (and expensive) mall in all of Montevideo. I just walk in and out of those stores, crying a little inside because of all of the beautiful things I don't want to pay US$280 for anything. But I always end up just hanging out there. Maybe becase it is airconditioned. Anyway, after Punta Carretas (ps, Punta Carretas used to be a prison, where they tortured political prisoners. Awesome. Talk about efficient use of space. Don't judge that statement.) we decided we wanted to head to good ol' Ciudad Vieja, via bus. So we hopped on the bus and were going to get off on a random location to eat lunch and then get back on the bus and head over to Plaza Independencia/Ciudad Vieja. But then I was suddenly struck by a mad flash of genius and remembered that there was really good food at the now dubbed 'hipster café' that I went to with The Doctor one time and I got amazing Linguine that was pretty life changing. So we decided just to head to Ciudad Vieja instead of stopping. So we get off the bus, and, since I have such an awesome sense of direction, we head somewhere to the left. And walk for a while. And then end up at the hipster café. And eat the Linguine.

To be honest, I don't know how we ended up there. But we did.


After our amazing lunch we decided to head to Mercado del Puerto, to retrace our steps back to a store that has amazing purses. And when I say amazing, it is truth. Pure unadulterated truth. Truth so pure it's like honey. Or snow. I sort of think that we took the rather sketchy route, because it didn't seem like the most uppity neighborhood. We passed some run down buildings/apartments, walked by a group of people playing soccer on a field, and then hit the rambla. We were very confused and hoped that the road we were on didn't take us to Cerro. Then we walked right by the port. Which I thought was very strange. Ports seem very mythical to me. I mean, I know they exist, but I guess I think of them like they would be in Amsterdam in 1813. I don't know why. My brain will not accept modern day ports. Strange thing. Anyway, thanks to our keen sense of direction, we found Mercado del Puerto and found the purse store.

We only actually found it by going straight.

That's about all I have to report. Nothing terribly exciting. Just Uruguay. Lovely Uruguay. Getting freaking mad knowing I have to leave and probably won't come back for a long, long time. It's really upsetting. I feel like such a baby, but I really should just take advantage and love all of it here instead of spending all of my time in my room. I will figure out what to do eventually. This was kind of a stupid blog, so I am sorry, I haven't had much to blog about and I have been exhausted, so we shall see what this week holds for blogging material.

Paz.



No comments:

Post a Comment